Friday, July 15, 2011

21 days without rain...

Today is day 21 without rain.
We have had hot weather and my gardens are suffering.
But there are a few that are still blooming despite the heat and lack of water
This Astilbe gets full shade and lives under the eaves of the garden shed
A few more surprise Poppies are blooming

Hollyhocks will thrive in almost any conditions

This Statice doesn't seem bothered at all 
Amaranthus volunteer
Another thing I haven't had to plant for years - 'Grandpa Ott' Morning Glory
Nothing is as hardy as Daylily's!
The Asiatic's are quite hardy too

Shasta Daisy's are a thug in my garden. Nothing bothers them!
I grew Gaillardia because I heard they were drought tolerant. So far they are laughing at the conditions
This Lavatera is also a volunteer and gets late afternoon shade from the Ninebark
I love Zinnia's - one of the most drought tolerant annuals there is!
This black Petunia is one of the lucky ones that lives in a pot.
Potted plants get watered, gardens only get rain.
(we have a well and it's them or ME!)
Now excuse me while I go outside and do a rain dance ;)

5 comments:

  1. Black is all the rage this season! My son had some planters put together by a local garden centre and he requested a petunia much like this one. Combined with purple penstemon, green sweet potato vine and a dark one and another trailer; the planters look quite handsome on his balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley, that combination of plants sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Netty, 21 days without rain is a long, long time. I'm amazed all your plants are doing so well, it must be the tender loving care you give them. We're on a private well here, too, so watering is done very infrequently--who wants to have a new well drilled!? So same story here, only the pots get a drink on a regular basis. I love the poppy, what a beauty. All of your flowers are so pretty, hope you get some gentle rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally in love with those poppies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for linking in this week. I am always in awe of all the different flowers everyone flaunts. It is a pleasure to tour and see all the gorgeous blooms...and I always enjoy stopping by here! I hope you will link in again soon!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete